Wednesday 3 March 2010

Ancillary texts - New Improved Magazine Cover

Here is our new and improved magazine cover. I used all non copyrighted images for the cover and edited it in Photoshop Elements 8.0.
After looking at magazine covers and researching the codes and conventions I took inspiration from Empire magazine and Total Film magazine. But with our film being a period drama I found it hard to reflect this genre in the style of my magazine front cover so I decided to use similar colours too the main image. Here are the beginning stages of making the magazine cover:

For this part of the editing process I used the magnetic lasso to cut out the woman's head and neck and I then copied and pasted it onto another layer. This allowed me to place the main text behind the image of the woman's head which is a common code and convention of magazine covers.


For this stage I used the text tool to create the magazine title and I then used the rectangle tool to create the bottom banner on a separate layer.I tool inspiration fro this from a copy of Empire magazine shown in my earlier post:

http://g324meganridley.blogspot.com/2009/11/movie-magazine-research.html

I then changed the colour of the banner to same blue on the woman's dress and changed the opacity of the banner to 90%, I did this so that the banner wasn't to harsh for the image.

For this stage I had added white boxes for the banner using the rectangle tool.
I did at first create a magazine cover that included copyrighted images, this is shown here:
Photobucket
But I realized I wasn't allowed to include copyrighted images so i edited it to include non copyright images and used images from my peers production with their permission. I also changed the tagline of the magazine from "The UK's Biggest Movie Magazine" to "Bringing you movie news monthly" because Empire magazine is known as the UK's biggest movie magazine.

The final magazine cover is shown here:
Photobucket

1 comment: